Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Artificial Color or Dye Free Candy: Happy Halloween!


Finding artificial color or dye free candy for my son is a challenge, but the options are expanding every year. We do not presently have enough variety of candy for my son to be able to switch out what he cannot eat for what he can. He goes trick or treating like every other kid, and when it comes time to check the candy he switches out candy he cannot eat for candy we have bought for just this purpose. What my son has come to understand is that the candy he can eat is very tasty.

Here are some new and old candies that children with allergies and/or sensitivities to artificial food coloring can enjoy:



Annie's Organic Bunny Fruit Flavored Snacks


Panda All Natural Raspberry Licorice


Regal Creamy Caramels

 


Pure Fun make lollipops that both my kids love, and I am still searching for them as I have not been able to find them at my 2 local health food stores like last year. The truth of candy made from natural ingredients taste amazing is not debatable with these lollipops.



There are plenty of others out there like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Caramilk to name a few. It requires a little searching and reading of ingredients.

What my son wants most is to eat what all the other kids are eating (or gorging on), and although he is happy with products like Annie's, his eyes really light up when he gets candies like Popeye Candy Sticks. During Halloween I try not to cringe when I see my children eating so much candy...I ate a whole lot more than they do now when I was little, and I am still here to blog the tale. I also have all my teeth by the way.


Here is a link to the Witch's finger cookies I made last year and will make again tomorrow.

Update 2011: Here is a link to a post at onehungrymama.com which contains a more recent round up of naturally better Halloween Candy with links.  Enjoy this site as I do often.

3 comments:

  1. Smarties are not artificial color-free.
    Ingredients: Dextrose, Citric Acid, Calcium Stearate, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Colors (Red 40 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Blue 2 Lake).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alison! Smarties in Canada are artificial color free if it says so on the box if not then of course they contain artificial colors.Sorry I missed this comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have inserted a photo of color free smarties!

    ReplyDelete

Printer friendly